TUNISIAN PRESIDENT SACKS RELIGION AFFAIRS MINISTRY AS 49 PILGRIMS DIED IN HAJJ

download 2024 06 21T174353.301 2

TUNISIAN PRESIDENT SACKS RELIGIOUS AFFAIRS MINISTER AFTER 49 PILGRIMS DIED IN HAJJ

Tunisian President, Kais Saied, has sacked the Minister of Religious Affairs in the country after 49 Tunisians died in this year’s hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia.

The death toll has risen to 1126, more than half of them from Egypt, according to AFP tally on Friday, compiling official statements and reports from diplomats involved in the response.

The President “decided to end the duties of Ibrahim Chaibi, the Minister of Religious Affairs,” a statement by the Presidency who posted on Facebook said without giving any further details.

On Tuesday, the Tunisian Foreign Ministry reported the death of 35 Tunisian pilgrims, but the number has risen to 49 so far, according to Tunisian media.

The ministry didn’t specify whether the deaths were related to high temperatures, adding that most of the dead had travelled to Saudi Arabia with tourist visas and outside of the Saudi government’s official pilgrimage programme.

Each year, official permits are allocated to countries through a quota system and distributed to individuals via a lottery.

Even for those who can obtain them, the steep costs can make the irregular route – which costs thousands of dollars less – more attractive.

That has been especially true since 2019 when Saudi Arabia began issuing general tourist visas, making it easier to travel to the Gulf kingdom.Deaths during the pilgrimage have also been confirmed by Malaysia, India, Jordan, Iran, Senegal, Tunisia, Sudan and Iraq’s autonomous Kurdistan region.

  • Dons Eze

    DONS EZE, PhD, Political Philosopher and Journalist of over four decades standing, worked in several newspaper houses across the country, and rose to the positions of Editor and General Manager. A UNESCO Fellow in Journalism, Dr. Dons Eze, a prolific writer and author of many books, attended several courses on Journalism and Communication in both Nigeria and overseas, including a Postgraduate Course on Journalism at Warsaw, Poland; Strategic Communication and Practical Communication Approach at RIPA International, London, the United Kingdom, among others.

    Related Posts

    HOUSTON WITHOUT POWER SUPPLY FOR FOUR DAYS DECLARED CITY IN CRISIS

    HOUSTON WITHOUT POWER SUPPLY FOR FOUR DAYS, DECLARED CITY IN CRISIS Monday marked one week since Hurricane Beryl made landfall near Matagorda Bay, devastating Houston’s infrastructure and knocking out power to over 2.2 million homes and businesses. While CenterPoint Energy has since restored power to the majority of those customers, hundreds of thousands of people still woke up Monday without lights, or air conditioning, or any number of the vital necessities made possible by the miracle of electricity. The Houston Chronicle spent time with four households in different parts of the region Sunday to understand what a week without power does to the psyche, body and wallet. Here are their stories. In the immediate aftermath after Hurricane Beryl, the sight of CenterPoint trucks would give Maria Noria some hope that maybe, finally, power would soon be restored to her sweltering east Houston home. By the end of the week, that hope had long since given way to frustration. “The first couple days I was ok, thinking ‘they’re coming, they’re coming, they’re going to fix it,’ and then we started to hear it was going to take longer, and it started to bother me,” Maria Noria, 53, said in Spanish. Noria lives with her husband and daughter in a bungalow in Houston’s Northshore neighborhood, north of I-10 between the East Loop and Beltway 8. A week without power has tested all of their patience, though the family maintained a friendly disposition and was quick to crack a joke, even as they wiped sweat from their brows. “We’ve laid out the red carpet for you,” Noria said, as she led a pair of Chronicle journalists over a makeshift trail of concrete pavers, which helped us keep our footing in the muddy expanses of her backyard. After two days without air conditioning, the family borrowed a generator from Noria’s sister, whose power returned to her home. The generator provided just enough wattage to light up the kitchen and power a few fans on the floor. During the day, they could concentrate all the fans in the living room; at night, they could place fans directly next to their bed for a modicum of relief. The Norias have also learned, however, that using a generator can be both expensive and annoying. Maria’s husband, Adrian, has had to run outside at 5:30 a.m. to fill the gas engine. He estimated he’d spent at least $150 on gas in the past five days to keep the generator running. After a week, the Norias, who moved to Houston in 2001, said they were still confounded about how they can still be without power after just a Category 1 storm. Even Hurricane Harvey only knocked their power out for a day or two. “We’re Houston, the fourth-largest city in the country. ¿Que pedo?” Adrian Noria said in Spanish. “What gives?” For Stacy Humphrey, 48, and Donnell Blake, 60, a week without power was the difference between life and death. A pitbull in the northeast Houston rooming house that Blake owns gave birth to a litter of puppies two days before Beryl made landfall. By the end of the week, half of the litter was dead. “We couldn’t take them anywhere, they got to be with their mama, they’re newborn puppies,” Blake said. “There was one every dying every day. Their eyes just opened two days ago.” Humphrey tenderly carried one of the survivors, small enough to fit in one hand, to the living room so we could introduce ourselves, though the near-total darkness in the house made it difficult to see, even in the afternoon. The dog’s fur was matted and sticky — you could feel it struggling in 92-degree heat — and the air, heavy with the smell of mildew,…

    EX-US PRESIDENT, TRUMP, PICKS PRESIDENTIAL RUNNING MATE

    EX-US PRESIDENT, TRUMP, PICKS PRESIDENTIAL RUNNING MATE Former US President Donald Trump has chosen Sen. JD Vance, R-Ohio, as his vice presidential running mate, taking a once-strident critic and elevating him as the leading heir to his political legacy. Vance, who will turn 40 in August, offers a youthful contrast to Trump, 78, and President Joe Biden, 81. He would be the third-youngest vice president in history — behind John Breckinridge (36 years old upon taking office in 1857) and Richard Nixon (40 years and 11 days in 1953). And Vance’s selection comes just days after Trump survived an assassination attempt Saturday, underlining the gravity of the vice presidential selection in stark terms.“After lengthy deliberation and thought, and considering the tremendous talents of many others, I have decided that the person best suited to assume the position of Vice President of the United States is Senator J.D. Vance of the Great State of Ohio,” Trump posted on Truth Social Monday afternoon.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    30 CHRISTIAN COMMUNITIES IN KADUNA SOUTH TRAPPED IN MODERN SERFDOM BY TERRORISTS

    BAYERO MAKES FIRST OFFICIAL TRIP OUTSIDE MINI PALACE

    TINUBU’S MINISTER BACKING TERRORISM IN NORTHWEST – BANDITS LEADER

    HOW TINUBU, BUHARI ORDERED ME TO JOIN APC – NDUME

    PHILIP SHAIBU DUMPS PDP FOR APC, KNEELS FOR OSHIOMOHOLE

    NO GOING BACK ON PLANNED PROTEST ON #ENDBADGOVERNANCEINNIGERIA – AREWA YOUTHS