
Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Tuesday arrested a former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman.
Mamman, who has remained in hiding even after being sentenced to 75 years in prison, was arrested in Rigasa, Kaduna State.
Ola Olukoyede, the chairman of the anti-graft agency, who disclosed this to journalists during a press briefing in Abuja, explained that he was arrested at about 3:30am.
Daily Trust reports that a Federal High Court in Abuja had last week sentenced Mamman to 75 years in prison in absentia, a few days after he was convicted.
NUJ FCT urges journalists to prioritise mental health
South African investors eye Dangote Refinery listing
Justice Omotosho convicted him of all 12-count charges, which bordered on money laundering and fraud amounting to N33.8 billion, connected to the diversion of funds from the Mambilla and Zungeru hydropower projects.
Olukoyede revealed that Mamman was nabbed alongside two others who were protecting him, adding that the house where he was arrested is currently being investigated.
“I’m happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr Saleh Mamman.
“This is a test of the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption in Nigeria and to assure Nigerians that anyone who has dipped into government or national resources will not go unpunished.
“The eagle eye of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission will always catch up with you wherever you are hiding,” Olukoyede said.
After the briefing, Daily Trust’s further findings revealed that Mamman was nabbed after he was tracked to the location in Kaduna, where he was being protected.
A high-placed source confided in our correspondent that the former minister continued to change his phone and use different SIMs, a development that made the tracking difficult before he was finally arrested.
“The convict continued to change his phone number. He continued using different phone lines. But as God would have it, operatives closed in on him, and he was finally arrested,” the source said.
Speaking further, Olukoyede warned that anyone involved in the diversion of public resources would eventually face justice, assuring Nigerians that the EFCC would continue to investigate both public and private individuals accused of corruption.

Leave a Reply