
The families of Nigerian military officers accused of plotting to overthrow President Bola Tinubu’s government have voiced serious concerns over what they describe as deliberate “delay tactics” in the handling of the case.
According to the families, the accused have been held in custody for nearly five months without access to relatives or legal counsel, a situation they say undermines due process and the right to a fair hearing.
They claim that ongoing delays, coupled with selective media disclosures, have created the impression that the trial is unfolding in public narratives rather than in a court of law.
The families also allege that attempts to reopen investigations or effect new arrests appear aimed at shifting the goalposts, adding that trial proceedings can and should commence without halting further inquiries.
“Any continued delay only deepens public doubt about the process,” they stated.
They urged the public and international community to scrutinise inconsistencies in information released about the case, “including initial claims regarding funds in tens of billions allegedly traced to one of the suspects and aspects of reports published by Premium Times in its exclusive coverage”.
The families emphasised that such matters should be tested transparently in an open court.
Expressing appreciation for media outlets like Daily Trust and The PUNCH, as well as public figures advocating for a free and fair judicial process, the families also criticised remarks by retired Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka-Usman and others, calling for measured commentary that respects the accused individuals’ right to be heard.
In January, Brigadier General Rufai Kukasheka-Usman, former Director of Army Public Relations and spokesperson for the Nigerian Army, confirmed that the alleged coup plotters would be tried by court-martial under the civilian administration.
Speaking in an interview with ARISE NEWS, Kukasheka-Usman stressed that the severity of the alleged offence necessitates strict compliance with both military and civilian legal procedures.
“This is very, very grave,” Kukasheka-Usman said, referring to the attempted coup. “Beyond military offences, a court may not try a serving military personnel until his commander understands that he has committed that offence. There were procedures that had to be met over time. The military and government have done a diligent job, and we should give them the benefit of the doubt.”
EXCLUSIVE: Army Officers Detained For Alleged Coup Plot Against Tinubu Are Attached To NSA Ribadu’s Office, Include Ex-Governor’s Nephew
Oct 18, 2025
Image
PHOTO
He noted that the incident, which authorities had initially downplayed, took both the military and the public by surprise, underscoring the continuing evolution of the armed forces.
“The military has undergone a 15-year transformation process from 2000 to 2015, including doctrinal and attitudinal changes, and expansion to improve civil-military relations, but most importantly to ensure the military is subject to democratic authority,” he said.
Highlighting that the military high command had previously indicated investigations were concluded and that judicial proceedings would follow, the families of the detained officers questioned the delay in formally arraigning the suspects.
They appealed to President Bola Tinubu to ensure an open trial, cautioning against advocacy for closed proceedings in a democratic setting.
“By guaranteeing a free, fair, and transparent trial, the President will act in good conscience and in accordance with constitutional principles,” the families said.
While acknowledging the seriousness of the allegations, they reiterated that the accused are entitled to the presumption of innocence and a legal process free from coercion or undue influence.
EXCLUSIVE: 35 Military Officers Including 33 Northerners Detained Over Alleged Coup Plot Against Tinubu Govt
Jan 27, 2026
Image
PHOTO
They expressed hope that the truth will emerge through proper judicial proceedings and that all parties will ultimately be judged on credible evidence presented before an impartial court.
In late January, wives of military officers detained over the alleged coup plot accused authorities of a witch-hunt.
Speaking exclusively to SaharaReporters, they claimed their husbands are innocent and not planning to overthrow President Tinubu’s administration.
“Honestly, most of them are highly professional and dedicated officers, sentiments aside. They want to do what they said (former President Olusegun) Obasanjo did to the North to cripple us,” one wife said.
SaharaReporters previously reported that 35 military personnel, including 33 northerners and one paramilitary officer, were being held in connection with the alleged plot.
Among the detainees are a Brigadier General, two Colonels, five Lieutenant Colonels, one Wing Commander, eight Majors, one Lieutenant Commander, two Squadron Leaders, five Captains, and one Lieutenant. Ten non-commissioned officers are also in custody.
One of the Army Captains, A. Yusuf, is from Osun State, while Squadron Leader Zuzu, a senior Air Force officer, is from Bayelsa.
The remaining 33 officers are from northern states, including three from the FCT. Specific states represented include Nasarawa, Niger, Katsina, Kaduna, Plateau, Kano, Gombe, Bauchi, Kebbi, Jigawa, Zamfara, Taraba, Yobe, Kogi, Sokoto, and Adamawa.
A spouse of one detainee said her husband and others were indicted merely for having financial transactions with previously arrested officers.
She stated, “All the officers were either arrested or invited from their various places of duties. Not gathered or seen in the same place. More so, if others knew of any prior plot, they would have fled the country the moment the news of arrest of some persons were known to them.
“But they didn’t; in fact, some of them came by themselves when invited. Again, others including my husband were indicted for merely having financial transactions with some of the already arrested officers.
“We condemn all Northern elders over their continuous silence as they are just a bunch of cowards ‘Wallahi’ (Astaghfirullah). And we pray that Allah vindicates whoever is innocent, and may He have mercy on those who are truly guilty.”
The wife also drew parallels with Obasanjo’s post-1999 military restructuring, saying, “We know the whole plan is to reduce Northern influence in the military like Obasanjo did. Do you remember what he did? Following his inauguration in 1999, Obasanjo took steps to remove military officers who had previously held political positions, a group largely dominated by Northern elites.
“Also in 2001, the then Obasanjo’s administration targeted 37 officers for retirement, with 10 specifically singled out for over-ambition and plotting to change the present social order.”
In October 2025, SaharaReporters exclusively reported how some military officers were arrested by the Defence Intelligence Agency in Abuja over an alleged plot to overthrow President Tinubu’s government.
The DIA, established in 1986, is Nigeria’s primary military intelligence body. It is responsible for gathering and providing intelligence to the Nigerian Armed Forces and the Ministry of Defence to counter security threats, safeguard national integrity, and support military operations, including ongoing efforts against terrorism and insurgency.
Top military sources disclosed the names and departments of some senior military officers who had been detained over the alleged plot.
SaharaReporters also exclusively reported that a Nigerian Navy officer, Lieutenant Commander B. Abdullahi, was among the senior officers held in connection with the case.
Sources at the Defence Headquarters confirmed that the officers, drawn from the Nigerian Army, Navy, and Air Force, were arrested in coordinated operations by military intelligence operatives following weeks of covert surveillance.
However, the Defence Headquarters initially dismissed the reports, saying the arrest of the officers mentioned in the reports was unrelated to any alleged coup plot.
Last month, SaharaReporters exclusively reported that at least five detained officers had fallen ill while in custody, with two reportedly collapsing as their conditions worsened.
Sources disclosed that the officers were allegedly transferred from an initial DIA detention facility to an underground military cell in Abuja described as dark and poorly ventilated.
Premium News