EL-RUFAI TO SPEND NIGHT IN EFCC CUSTODY OVER ALLEGED N423BILLION FRAUD, SAYS OFFICIAL

th 12

Nigeria’s anti-graft agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has detained former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, as part of an ongoing investigation into alleged financial misconduct during his time in office.

It had been reported earlier that El-Rufai presented himself at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja on Monday following an invitation by investigators probing alleged financial improprieties linked to his administration.

The former governor, who governed Kaduna State between 2015 and 2023 and is currently a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), was subsequently detained by operatives of the anti-corruption agency and is expected to spend the night in custody while interrogation continues.

“He is in our custody, and he is going to spend the night there,” an EFCC source was quoted as saying by TheCable.

Insiders further disclosed that the former governor’s release would depend on the outcome of ongoing questioning and the progress made by investigators, adding that he could regain freedom after further interrogation scheduled for Tuesday.

El-Rufai’s detention follows earlier recommendations by the Kaduna State House of Assembly, which in 2024 indicted the former governor over allegations involving the diversion of about N423 billion in public funds and alleged money laundering activities.

The lawmakers had urged anti-graft agencies to launch a full criminal investigation into the financial dealings of his administration.

The EFCC has yet to issue an official public statement on the detention as of the time of filing this report.

The development marks a significant escalation in the legal scrutiny facing the former governor, who remains one of Nigeria’s most prominent political figures and a controversial voice in national political debates.

The Nigerian Government has also been planning to arraign former Nasir El-Rufai, before the Federal High Court of Nigeria sitting in Abuja, over allegations of unlawful interception of the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

Court documents indicate that the charges, marked FHC/CR/99/2026, were filed in the name of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as complainant, with El-Rufai, 65, listed as the sole defendant.

The charge sheet is dated February 16, 2026.

According to the documents, the prosecution alleges that El-Rufai made incriminating admissions during a televised interview on February 13, 2026, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme in Abuja.

Count One alleges that the former governor admitted to unlawfully intercepting the phone communications of the NSA, an act said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

About Dons Eze

DONS EZE, PhD, Political Philosopher and Journalist of over four decades standing, worked in several newspaper houses across the country, and rose to the positions of Editor and General Manager. A UNESCO Fellow in Journalism, Dr. Dons Eze, a prolific writer and author of many books, attended several courses on Journalism and Communication in both Nigeria and overseas, including a Postgraduate Course on Journalism at Warsaw, Poland; Strategic Communication and Practical Communication Approach at RIPA International, London, the United Kingdom, among others.

Check Also

‘HASTY PROSECUTION COULD LET EL-RUFAI ESCAPE JUSTICE’: LAWYER WARNS DSS

Human rights lawyer and activist, Comrade Marshal Abubakar, has issued a cautionary response to the …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sahifa Theme License is not validated, Go to the theme options page to validate the license, You need a single license for each domain name.