BENUE IDPS HIT THE STREETS OVER HUNGER AFTER REMI TINUBU’S N1BN DONATION

1000266668

BENUE IDPs HIT THE STREETS OVER HUNGER AFTER REMI TINUBU’S N1BN DONATION

Hundreds of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) from various camps, including Yelwata in Guma Local Government Area of Benue State, on Wednesday blocked some access roads linking the Makurdi-Lafia Highway to protest hunger, lack of medical care, and alleged mistreatment in their camps.

Our correspondent reports that the protest held less than 24 hours after First Lady Oluremi Tinubu visited Benue and donated N1 billion to support displaced persons in the state.

The protesters, however, made up of IDPs predominantly victims of the June 13, 2025 Yelwata attacks by armed invaders demanded to be returned to their ancestral homes.

They blamed relevant authorities of government for their neglect, saying they face severe hardship, including starvation, inadequate shelter, and lack of access to healthcare.

Chanting slogans such as “We want to go back home,” “We are hungry,” and “Our women are losing their babies and pregnancies,” the protesters said the demonstration was aimed at drawing government attention to their worsening condition.

One of the IDPs, Rebecca Awuse, told journalists, “We are hungry. We have no food, no shelter, and no medical care. Our children are crying from hunger.

“Many pregnant women have lost their pregnancies because of hunger and lack of treatment. They sleep on bare floors with no hospital or antenatal care. There are no drugs or health professionals at the camp.”

Reacting to the protest, the Information Officer of the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Terna Ager, dismissed the claims of hardship, describing the protest as politically motivated.

“There is no situation at the camps that warrants such a protest. The government is providing food. Those at the Yelwata camp often move to the International Market camp in Makurdi because more food donations are coming in there,” Ager said.

He also refuted claims that pregnant women were sleeping on bare floor or losing their pregnancies, adding that food distribution was ongoing.

Ager explained that the First Lady’s N1 billion pledge was for resettlement, not for immediate food distribution, and noted that disbursement processes take time.

“Some of them are protesting because they believe the money should be shared among them, but that’s not the purpose,” he added.

On the last distribution of relief materials, Ager disclosed that the IDPs were supposed to receive food last week but were delayed due to unforeseen circumstances.

About Dons Eze

DONS EZE, PhD, Political Philosopher and Journalist of over four decades standing, worked in several newspaper houses across the country, and rose to the positions of Editor and General Manager. A UNESCO Fellow in Journalism, Dr. Dons Eze, a prolific writer and author of many books, attended several courses on Journalism and Communication in both Nigeria and overseas, including a Postgraduate Course on Journalism at Warsaw, Poland; Strategic Communication and Practical Communication Approach at RIPA International, London, the United Kingdom, among others.

Check Also

KATSINA STATE GOVERNMENT REVOKES LICENCES OF ALL PRIVATE, COMMUNITY SCHOOLS

The Katsina State government has announced the revocation of licences for all private and community …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sahifa Theme License is not validated, Go to the theme options page to validate the license, You need a single license for each domain name.