We do not agree with those who do not want President Muhammadu Buhari to seek reelection in 2019. Buhari has every constitutional right to rule the country as President for a maximum two terms of four years each. This means that by 2019, President Buhari would have ruled Nigeria for only four years, remaining another period of four years, if he wins.
Thus, when state governors elected on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC), went to the President to plead with him to come out and recontest in 2019, they did what they were supposed to have done. President Buhari himself had responded appropriately by telling the governors to give him time to weigh the options before he could give them reply.
President Muhammadu Buhari is very crucial to the survival of APC as a political party. For Buhari not to seek reelection in 2019 means that the APC would die a natural death as a political party since the APC does not seem to have another towering political figure that could lead the party to success in 2019 if he fails to recontest. So willy nilly, the APC must drag Buhari out to seek reelection in 2019.
However before Buhari throws his hat in the ring to contest the 2019 election, he must necessarily do the following:
* Ensure the release of all the Chibok girls still being held by Boko Haram. That was what he told us he would do when he was canvassing for the 2015 election.
* Ensure the rescue all the 110 girls recently abducted by Boko Haram in Dapchi, Yobe State.
* Ensure that Boko Haram is “totally” defeated and not “technically” defeated or “decimated” and that the Sambisa Forest is cleared of all insurgents so that we can establish cattle colonies there.
* Ensure that no Fulani Herdsman wielding AK 47 rifle leads his cattle to graze in people’s farmlands or in open fields, but in established ranches.
* Ensure that petrol sells at its normal pump price of N86 per litre and that the product is available all over the country
* Ensure that our Naira is restored to its former glory and not just a piece of paper that is good for nothing.
* How come that the Buhari administration had borrowed N30 trillion in 30 months, the highest by all the regimes in the country put together, according to debt management expert, Mustapha Chike-Obi? Buhari should ensure that this huge loan is paid back before thinking of recontesting.
* Ensure that all the members of his kitchen cabinet who were named in one corrupt practice or the other – Abba Kyari, Babagana Kingibe, Makatari Baru, Tukur Brutai, etc. are investigated and their names cleared.
* Ensure that the case files of all the politicians previously being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) but who later ran to the APC, are reopened.
* Ensure that the war against corruption is no longer selective and that the EFCC succeeds in convicting corrupt officials and not just end in newspaper trials.
* Ensure stability in electricity supply.
* Ensure that Nigeria is restructured along the country’s federal system.
* Ensure that the unemployment rate in the country is drastically reduced.
As Buhari is now seiously warming up to dance to the music being played for him by his party members, we look forward to the fulfilment of the above conditions.